Sunday, November 12, 2006

Nana...not writing...

But blogging about NaNoWriMo!

From the Washington Post

"I think I am going to go to lunch now."

"Lunch? Now?"

"Yes, I think this would be a good time."

"A good time? Why do you think it is a good time?"

"Because I am hungry, and I am bored."

Who would want to read 50,000 words of this? Answer: no one. But Kush's loophole is an example of "free writing," or letting words flow without regard for coherence or form. The idea is to keep writing without inhibition, even if you have to write, "I can't think of anything to write." Sometimes a great idea (or phrase, or metaphor) can pop out in the process like an unexpected twin during birth.

Well, this is good to know because I might have used a sentence similar to the one above. :) But since my problem has remained getting all the words out of my head. I celebrate every single word that hits the screen. Cause they have never even made it that far in the past..

Chris Baty, program director for NaNo, has one piece of advice for the 2,500 or so WriMos in the District, Maryland and Virginia: "Get out of the 20,000s as fast as you can. If you can do it in three days, great. The 20s are like a swamp of the soul. Charge through them. The 30s start to feel wonderful."

Just like life right? The 30's start to feel wonderful. Sigh. I need to be at 20,000 today. It could be a long week, or a very short ride through the 20's. All or nothing.

Dan Fowlkes, 28, of Stafford has three children younger than 5, and his wife is pregnant with a fourth. So this year he's writing during the commute on Interstate 95 to his Defense Department job by using voice-recognition software. "I'm dictating 2,000 words a morning," Fowlkes says. "Although, in the evening, I'll have to go over those 2,000 words and look for the places where the computer misheard me."

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 for Windows XP. $100-$200 (depending on the edition) from http://www.nuance.com/ , $90-$170 from http://www.amazon.com/ .

HOLY CRAP. IF I HAD THIS SOFTWARE I WOULD ALREADY BE AT 100,000 WORDS. I think I could cover 2,000 words in one breath. I wonder if this is something I should invest in? Or beg for? ;)

No comments: