Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Sometimes, it could just be a good STORY.



Author goes from 'Prada' to nada

Anna Wintour nemesis Lauren Weisberger might be ruing the day she ever wished for fame and fortune. Trying to produce the second of two novels with Simon & Schuster - with which she has a seven-figure deal - Weisberger apparently has a case of writer's block. Lowdown hears that Vogue editor Wintour's 29-year-old former assistant - whose thinly veiled first novel, "The Devil Wears Prada," lampooned her ex-boss and sold more than a million copies for Doubleday - is in agony over her book-in-progress, which her editor has allegedly advised her to trash.

I read this book recently, even though I didn't think I would enjoy it. (Same with the Shopaholic series, I was WRONG!) See all the books I have read in 2006 here!

I had it, (bulk chick lit from eBay thank you!) I picked it up. And I LOVED it. I loved the STORY. I think what I loved best was the *thinly veiled* reality of it all-knowing most of it probably happened.

And I adored the style of the writing. So when I picked up her second book...

I decided I wasn't really that interested in reading the book. It KINDA sounded exactly like her first only with a PR firm twist. So it wasn't too much of a surprise for me to read the above article. Like I said I ADORED the "Devil Wears Prada" however...perhaps she had one book in her. One fantastically almost true story. She has a SEVEN (count em) SEVEN figure book deal from ONE tremendously excellent story. Perhaps writers block makes sense, if you have a story to tell ...and somehow have to come up with something as grand the 2nd and 3rd time! Geez. Although with a million dollars on the line, I can imagine a publisher being damn picky.

No comments: