Monday, May 15, 2006

A little whine with that cheese?

Writers who whine about work are full of the wrong stuff

I have had it with writers who talk about how painful and harrowing and exhausting and ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE it is for them to put words on paper and how they pace a hole in the carpet, anguish writ large on their marshmallow faces, and feel lucky to have written an entire sentence or two by the end of the day.

It's the purest form of arrogance: Lest you don't notice what a brilliant artist I am, let me tell you how I agonize over my work. To which I say: Get a job. Try teaching eighth-grade English, five classes a day, 35 kids in a class, from September to June, and then tell us about suffering.

Read the whole column, it's great.

1 comment:

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Two thumbs up and three stars!

I agree with your post on sulking writers.

God bless.